Welcome to Tim’s Functional Maths Classes. Sections 1 to 6 have short, self-teach lessons for you to do on-line. Find the section for the topic and level you want, and then click on the lesson you want. The levels are Entry Level1, Entry Level2, and then Entry Level3.
The lessons marked MOHT come from the Move On Hot Topics collection. These take about half an hour, but you can go at your own speed, or come back to it later. In the MOHT lessons, click the MoveOn button on the bottom-right to go to the next screen.
The lessons marked RWP come from the Read Write Plus collection. These are very short: just 10 minutes, with a clear explanation and a few questions. The Maths4Us topics are very practical: about time, money & food.
Section 7 has links to other websites for studying maths, such as BBC Skillswise and National Numeracy Challenge. Section 8 has revision notes.
1. Add, Subtract, Multiply, Divide
- Putting Numbers in Order – RWP E1
- Add Small Numbers (up to 10) – RWP E1
- Take Away Small Numbers (up to 10) – RWP E1
- Rounding Numbers to Nearest 10 or 100 – RWP E3
- Estimating, Rounding & Checking – RWP E3
- Multiplying 2-Digit Numbers – RWP E3
- Dividing 2-Digit Numbers – RWP E3
To get quicker at times tables, use this trainer for 5 minutes, one or two times a day. Select the tables you want to practice: eg 1×1 to 5×5 or 6×6 to 9×9. Then just answer the questions as they come up. You’ll get corrected on the ones you get wrong, so you can type in the right answer; and you’ll be re-tested on those ones later on. You can quit early by clicking Multiply, or another option; or you can change the timing settings.
3. Money & Time
- Paying for things With Coins – RWP E2
- Add & Subtract Money: Totals & Change – RWP E2
- Counting Out Change – RWP E2
- Reading a Digital Clock (eg Quarter Past 8) – RWP E2
- Analogue & Digital Clocks (eg Half Past, Quarter To) – RWP E2
- Reading & Writing the Time: AM & PM – RWP E2
- Everyday Finance: Pay & Wages – Maths4Us
- Everyday Finance: Managing Your Money – Maths4Us
- Everyday Maths: Time, Dates & Planning – Maths4Us
4. Weights & Measures – Metric & Decimals
- Measuring Length, Weight & Liquid – RWP E2
- Units of Weight (Kilograms) & Liquid (Litres) – RWP E2
- Using a Floor Plan – RWP E2
- Measuring Length (cm, mm) – RWP E3
- Measuring Weight (kg, g & Decimals) – RWP E3
- Measuring Liquid (l, ml & Decimals) – RWP E3
- Everyday Maths: Food Labels, Calories, Weights & Ingredients – Maths4Us
- Helping Children With Maths: Measurement, Time & Money – Maths4Us
6. Tables, Charts & Graphs
- Using Tables & Charts (eg Pricelists & Timetables) – RWP E3
- Reading a Timetable (eg Train Times) – RWP E3
- Using a Tally Chart – RWP E3
- Using a Bar Chart – RWP E3
- Drawing a Bar Chart RWP E3
- Using a Pictogram – RWP E3
7. Some good maths websites
BBC Skillswise covers a good range of topics, with videos, quizzes, info & worksheets, and games – good for gaining confidence, and plugging gaps in your knowledge.
Maths4Us looks at some very practical maths topics: finance, food information, time, and helping children with maths.
National Numeracy Challenge starts with a short test to find your level, and then gives you key topics to work through in small chunks (drawn from other good websites); you then move up to the next level.
Maths Everywhere provides Everyday Tools for working out practical problems such as splitting a bill and converting currencies; How To Work It Out videos so you can learn the calculation methods for yourself, and Have A Go tests so you can practise these methods. You can also download it as an app.
8. Revision notes & other info
Here are some good revision notes to help you look back over your work.